Hi everybody, here’s the latest roundup of what’s happening in the world of WordPress, Automattic, and beyond. If you’re not already subscribed, sign up to receive future updates.
What’s New with Publishers on WordPress
- We were saddened by Jenny Diski’s passing. Here are two collections featuring her outstanding work for the London Review of Books and elsewhere.
- Guggenheim.org redesigned and relaunched on WordPress, with the help of Alley Interactive.
- Jennifer K. Armstrong does a great job connecting the dots from Lemonade to the presidential election: “Beyoncé, Hillary, and ‘The Good Wife’: The Power of Women Scorned”
- Early reviews are coming in for Belle Boggs’s forthcoming memoir, The Art of Waiting: “Boggs writes with considerable heart and engagement about the decisions that are so tough for so many… . A story well-told and deeply felt.”
- “Twitter, Will You Fix My Timeline?” Margarita Noriega offers a prescription for change at Twitter.
- Janet Fitch shares what it’s like to have your novel turned into a movie — in this case, Paint It Black, directed by Amber Tamblyn.
- Per our friends at 10up, WordPress powered one out of every seven websites nominated for a Webby Award this year, including everyone from Beyoncé to The New Yorker.
- “HBO’s Silicon Valley is hilarious — but the tech bubble it depicts is terrifying.” (Quartz)
- We spoke with cartoonist Drew Dernavich about humor, craft, and drawing for The New Yorker.
- Alexander Chee explores gun culture in America for Longreads: “Our Well-Regulated Militia.”
- “Prince Can’t Die.” At MTV News, Carvell Wallace paid tribute to a legend.
- “What Would Happen If We Just Gave People Money?” FiveThirtyEight examines the concept of basic income.
- “Nestlé spent three decades building a beloved noodle brand in India. Then the world’s biggest food and beverage company stumbled into a public relations debacle that cost it half a billion dollars.” Here’s a look at Nestlé’s debacle in India, new from Fortune.
- “Some people have a 401K to secure their financial future. I have a letter of apology from Anna Wintour.” A story from Lulu Writes.
WordPress.com and Automattic News
- We took another big leap in the quest for HTTPS everywhere, teaming up with Let’s Encrypt to secure all custom domains hosted by WordPress.com. (WordPress.com itself has been HTTPS since 2014.)
- WordPress.com introduced new sharing buttons for the world’s most popular messaging apps: WhatsApp, Telegram, and Skype.
- WooCommerce introduced WooCommerce Connect – sign up to get early access.
- Longreads turned 7 years old in April, and we partnered with Twitter Moments to showcase the best stories of the week.
- Six Automatticians recently traveled to Kampala, Uganda, to attend the CMS Africa Summit. Here’s what we learned.
- Aaron Douglas talks about the fitness and health benefits of working for a distributed company: “How Working Remote (Probably) Saved My Life.”